If you’ve decided that the time is now to get into the world of voice acting and make a go of it, congratulations! Choosing to pursue your dream of wanting to be a professional voice actor is a bold and brave decision. Whether you’re up and going on the world of voice acting and want a refresher, or coming at this from the point of view of a new student, here are the essential details to think about.
Top tips for starting out in voice acting
Voice acting is a fun, rewarding, and innovative career. When you are hunting for a way to get into it, you’ll need to start with the basics and work your way up from there. Some of the most important tips to consider include:
● Know the terms and the industry: Simple, but important. You’ll need to always keep in mind the terms for your jobs so that you can understand questions at interviews and even the job ads themselves. Familiarize yourself with the industry terms and branch out to more complex ones as you need them.
● Figure out your “professional personality”: Some acting roles will suit your voice better than others. Get a feel for what you are going to be best suited for, and use that to help you narrow in on the professional side of your applications and focus for education, even vocal coaches.
● Have a studio ready to work from: It could be through renting hours at a local studio, or it could be something more like a DIY home studio. Whatever you decide to be the right decision, just make sure that you understand your responsibilities and how to use everything without stupid mistakes! Really home studios are a must these days since jobs & auditions come up so quickly.
● Practice, experiment, learn: When you’re looking at the idea of enjoying your new career, it comes at the price of, well, working for it. You need to practice your skills, experiment with tasks that feel outside of your comfort zone, and learn from everything that you do. It all makes for a much stronger professional personality.
● Be patient and take your time applying for jobs: No matter how determined and how good you are, you’ll want to be careful to take your time in applying for jobs. It’s a saturated industry, so it will take time to get your name out there. Just be patient and focus on honing your skills so that you're ready when your time comes.
Stardom is waiting
This is, of course, just a sample of what you’ll want to think about when it comes to the idea of focusing on the right professional details to help you get ready to enter the world of professional voice acting. Regardless of what you end up deciding as far as your path, the amount of jobs that you choose, and how you determine success, these tips will be geared towards the beginner on the hunt.
Now is the time to break out as a professional voice actor. These tips will help you to be ready to impress and also give you that sense of professionalism that you’re looking for from start to finish. Just because you’re a beginner doesn’t mean that you need to be unprofessional, after all. In fact, that’s what will separate you from the crowd and help you to land those jobs you seek.