The vast majority of voice over artists are entrepreneurs. These are folks who are relying on their own skills, talents, and business sense to create a unique brand within a very competitive industry. Most of the time I post on VO-specific topics, but for this blog, I want to examine entrepreneurship as a whole, and in particular, the traits that the most successful entrepreneurs share. Here’s what I’ve found:
1. Patience - Business aren’t built overnight, and anyone who’s made it in their industry will tell you that a great deal of patience is required for success. They’ll also tell you that there are good times and bad times, and you have to be able to weather the storms when they come. Patience is a virtue, as they say.
2. Personable - Having a personality that other people like also helps when you’re running your own company. Being able to connect with others is vital to building a successful business, because you certainly can’t do it alone. There are lots of other players involved, and being able to communicate with them and keep things on good terms is key to succeeding.
3. Determined - Entrepreneurs must be determined, too, as giving up means the failure of the business. Every business owner is going to encounter challenges along the way, but it’s the ones who meet these obstacles head on and work through them who come out on top.
4. Passionate - A healthy dose of passion is another key ingredient to success in entrepreneurship. You don’t have to let what you’re doing consume your life, but you do have to love what you’re doing and be committed to it.
5. Goal-driven - Setting and achieving goals is another trait that the world’s most successful entrepreneurs have in common. You have to be able to define what you want and how you’re going to get it, and set milestones for yourself to achieve it.